I’ve been going back and forth wondering what to write for my inaugural post. Do I explain why and how I’m doing this? Do I share quirky details about myself? Do I share some interesting facts about the romance genre? Do I ramble on about what to write? It looks like the answer is all of the above.
The why is easy. I love getting lost in a book. There is nothing like that feeling of sitting at work or on the train and wondering what your current characters will do next. For me, they become friends, family, and sometimes enemies. I also have a habit of becoming so excited about the things I enjoy that I feel compelled to tell everyone; it doesn’t matter if it’s a coworker, a neighbor, my hair stylist, or the cashier at my coffee shop. I’m a compulsive recommender! So, one evening it occurred to me that I love reading sexy books, love talking about sexy books, and love sharing my opinions. BAM! Mercy Me What Did I Read was born.
I’m assuming you love a good steamy book too, and that’s why you are here. So, here are some interesting statistics that the RWA shares to prove we’re not alone!
Estimated annual total sales value of romance in 2013: $1.08 billion (source: BookStats)
- Romance novel share of the U.S. fiction market: 34% (source: Nielsen BookScan/PubTrack Digital 2015)
- What formats of romance fiction are selling? (source: Nielsen BookScan/PubTrack Digital 2015; figures do not include self-published romance e-book sales or Amazon-published e-books)
Mass-market paperback: 26%
Trade paperback: 11%
- Who is the romance book buyer? (source: Nielsen Books & Consumer Tracker)
Female Identifying: 84%
Male identifying: 16%
- Age of the romance book buyer: 30–44 years old (source: Nielsen Books & Consumers 2015)
Okay, now for the quirky details:
- I love lists.
- My hoop earrings are never big enough.
- My hair is never red enough.
- I’m addicted to singing and dancing competition shows.
- I will watch/read anything if there is a vampire involved.
- I have held an alligator.
- Coffee fuels my existence.
- I could eat mashed potatoes every day of my life.
- My dream jobs would be to name people’s children and pets.
- I love goats.
That’s it for now. Check back on Wednesday for my review of Rebel Wolf.
Read on with your sexy self!